RS is a personalization company that brings Big Data analysis to the publishing world. Focusing on the reader, RS collects, manages, and delivers audience-content engagement data in real-time, empowering publishers to learn from their audience and take action. The goal of RS was to improve user experience across all company applications. They wanted to achieve this goal by revamping and improving the data visualization of the user-facing products.
As the Designer for a fast-paced startup, my job was to introduce a new design initiative to the company. The design would revamp both the whole visual side of the business and the user facing products. The aim was to make RS a premium B2B product-based company and specifically designed for an online-publishing-business audience.
What I did
Initial UX Research
The starting point was a Ul that offered a poor user experience, which was originally put together by developers with no design background.
Me and my senior designer broke down every component to their basic elements so we could scrutinise their validity, functionality, efficiency and effectiveness before starting any design.
To create a more logical hierarchy, we focused on small details like consistent date formats, more descriptive labels, removing, combining or reordering elements and pages.
A user questionnaire was created to ensure the collection of all data, which helped to collect valuable insights and to apply them directly to the design or follow ups.
The questions focused on frustrations, pain points and suggested improvements.
Results were formatted in a google form. This allowed easy access to the results to both the client and the RS team.
Creation of the framework through continuous communication with dev and sales about ideas. The framework worked best in terms of: 1. What we should do, 2. What we can do, and 3. What we desperately need to do.
Review of wireframes from the R.S team.
Implementation of RS team feedback.
Conclusion and sign-off of the UX phase.
User testing was constantly conducted throughout the project life-cycle with current clients. This was conducted by taking the client through various tasks in which the product had to offer. Then, we discussed with the customer and we requested feedback. Following this, we implemented the feedback with modifications in the best and practical way.
Exploration of re-brands were conducted by myself and my senior designer. We conducted this exploration with the aim of creating a great brand, which would stand out in a crowd and have a personality of its own. The idea was for the personality to be clear at first glance and to remain consistent across all forms of media.
Through exploration and presenting brand directions to the R.S team, we settled on a braille design. We felt that this brand should tell your brand story in an instant and stick in the minds of everyone who sees it. With this brand, we reached our goal, as it represented R.S providing sight to online publishers through data.
Brand Guidelines Handover
I organised the design file into a Desktop, Tablet, Mobile, and asset views. Assets including Colour pallets, text styles, and Illustrations.
Feedback provided to front-end regarding bugs and other issues, followed by amendment. This was achieved through screenshots and logging of issues on Basecamp through a “To-do” list, followed by assigning the issues to the allocated F.E team member.
Management - Web, Social Media, Online Campaigns
Design and develop the new editable and more marketable website for readersight.com.
Collaboration with marketing teams to implement new standards of design and new brand guidelines.
Feedback & Learnings
Working as part of a small team of 13 staff, I had an integral part to play in the evolution and maturity of the company from Social Honey (the original name) to Readersight. The fast paced environment of the startup required me to produce design ideas quickly and adopt a Lean-UX methodology.
In this start up environment, apart from handling my own share of the work, l also had to assist with other tasks and duties. This thought me some valuable lessons in how to deal with work pressure, manage multiple roles and responsibilities, and manage my time appropriately.
Learning on the job primarily occurred through a trial-and-error method. The two together have thought me to accept failure gracefully and emerge stronger, wiser and more resilient from every fall.
Although R.S has since closed, it was an exciting journey and a great start to my UX/UI Product design career. I was part of a team that’s building a new product and the experience thought me to be independent, flexible, resilient and make the most out of scarce resources.